Links and FAQs

A collection of external resources and Frequently Asked Questions

Links to External Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is your office?


The University Marshal's Office is located in Wadsworth House on the edge of Harvard Yard.  Please view the About Us page for contact information and a brief history of the second-oldest building on the College campus.


What is the role of the University Marshal?


The title of Marshal has its roots in European higher education and was typically given to the individual responsible for organizing Commencement. In this context, the Marshal is defined as the person who directs the ceremonial aspects of a gathering. At Harvard, the tradition of University Marshal goes back to 1896 when Morris Hicky Morgan was appointed as Marshal of the Commencement Exercises. Today the University Marshal reports to the President and serves as chief protocol officer for the University. Among her other duties, the University Marshal often stands in for the President to receive visitors.


How do I arrange for a tour of Harvard?


Tour groups, families on college tours, and vacationing visitors to the greater Boston area should contact the Harvard Information Center or the Harvard College Admissions Office for more information about group tours.

If you or an official, non-profit delegation you represent is interested in making arrangements for a substantive visit to Harvard University, your first contact should be the Marshal’s Office. Please visit the Services page of our website for more detailed information about the International Visitors Program.