The Office of the University Marshal reports to the President of Harvard and supports the University’s goal of sustaining and enhancing the University’s international ties by:
- Providing coordination and support for members of the University community who wish to invite heads of state, high-level officials or dignitaries to Harvard;
- Arranging appointments with faculty and/or administrators for internationals to learn about academic programs and/or administrative operations;
- Identifying members of the University community, typically faculty or alumni, to serve as delegates representing the Harvard at other institution’s ceremonial functions;
- Assisting Harvard departments on the selection and procurement of appropriate gifts for special visitors and other official university business;
- Advising on matters of protocol and serving as a resource for information about Harvard history, tradition and ceremony.
The Office also is responsible for organizing large scale, University-wide events including presidential inaugurations, anniversary celebrations, and special convocations as well as overseeing the Morning Exercises of Commencement.